There are new live/install iso images of SparkyLinux 5.5 “Nibiru” available to download.
Sparky 5 follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.
– system updated from Debian testing repos as of September 17, 2018
– Linux kernel 4.18.6 (4.18.8- & 4.19-rc4-sparky are available at Sparky “unstable” repos)
– the Calamares installer updated up to version 3.2.1
– Thunar daemon is deactiveted in the MinimalGUI Live (Openbox), due to problem of automounting new partitions created by Calamares
– GCC 7 compiler has been removed, the system uses GCC 8 as default
– removed packages: libpam-gnome-keyring, vim, imagemagick, systemd-ui, sparky-gexec, xterm (Openbox)
– also removed from LXQt media: lxtask, leafpad, notepqdqq
– added new packages: seahorse, rxvt-unicode (Openbox), qps (LXQt), featherpad (LXQt)
– the Calamares and Advanced Installer remove Cryptsetup packages now (Calamares removes the packages if the system is not installed on an encrypted disk/partition)
– a terminal emulator used by Sparky tools has been changed from xterm to rxvt-unicode with pseudotransparency (Openbox), thank’s to lami07
– small fixes
The live system of MinimalGUI/CLI uses Debian’s Linux kernel 4.18.6 as default.
The live system of LXQt, due to a problem with long loading the desktop, features Sparky’s Linux kernel 4.18.8 (32bit pae/64bit amd64) as default; and the Debian’s one as well.
If you would like to boot the LXQt live system using the Debian kernel 4.18.6, edit the live boot list and change:
'vmlinuz' to 'vmlinuz418'
'initrd.img' to 'initrd418.img'
New iso images can be downloaded from download/rolling page.