There are new live/install iso images of SparkyLinux 5.1 “Nibiru” available to download.
Sparky 5 follows the rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.
Sparky “Home” edition provides fully featured operating system with lightweight desktops: Xfce, MATE and LXQt.
Sparky MinimalGUI (Openbox) and MinimalCLI (text mode) lets you install the base system with a desktop of your choice and a minimal set of applications via the Sparky Advanced Installer.
Changes between version 5.0 and 5.1:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of September 25, 2017
– Linux kernel 4.12.13 as default (4.13.3-sparky is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo)
– gcc 6 removed from the live media; the default compiler is gcc 7
– obmenu-generator updated up to version 0.80 (MinmalGUI edition), what speeded up launching the menu with svg icons
– the default system installer Calamares updated up to version 3.1.4
– added new tool for installing a web browser: Sparky Web Browser Installer
– new desktop environment added to Sparky repos: Manokwari
– live system’s memtest86+ issue has been fixed
– source code repos moved to GitHub
No system re-installation is required, simply make full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from download/rolling page.