There are new live/install iso images of SparkyLinux 5.3 “Nibiru” available to download.
Sparky 5 follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.
Sparky 5.3 provides fully featured operating system with lightweight desktops: LXQt, MATE and Xfce.
Sparky MinimalGUI (Openbox) and MinimalCLI (text mode) lets you install the base system with a desktop of your choice and a minimal set of applications, via the Sparky Advanced Installer.
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of March 7, 2018
– Linux kernel 4.15.4 as default (4.15.8-sparky is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo)
– the default system installer Calamares updated up to version 3.1.12
– added packages to support btrfs & xfs file systems
– cleaning out old files configs
– added new tool for cleaning your system from old files and configs: bleachbit
– missing language package installer (a part of APTus) has gotten gnome, kde & qt language package installtion option
– gdebi has been removed; locale stored debs can be installed via APTus-> Install-> Install package
– cli edition has been re-configured; it uses sudo as default after installing it on a hard drive as well
– many small fixes and improvements
No system reinstallation is required, simply make full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from download/rolling page.
– possible problem with unmounting the live system squashfs if running inside of a virtual machine – ignore, shot the live system down, remove the live media and run your machine normally.