SparkyLinux 3.3 MATE, Xfce & Base
Font Size » +AAA | -aaa
SparkyLinux 3.3 “Annagerman” MATE, Xfce and Base is out.
New iso images of SparkyLinux provide updates and some improvements, such as:
– Linux kernel 3.13
– all packages upgraded from Debian testing repositories as of 2014/03/16
– the same set of new apps and tools which have been added to Sparky 3.3 LXDE, e17 and Razor-Qt, see notes: http://sparkylinux.org/sparkylinux-3-3-lxde-e17-razor-qt
– MATE 1.6
– Xfce 4.10.1
– Openbox 3.5.2-6
This is the end of Sparky Ultra and CLI Editions.
Instead of them, there is a new ‘Base’ Edition which is a combination of Ultra and CLI.
What is under the hood of Sparky Base Edition?
– base system of Debian testing
– X Server
– ultra lightweight Openbox
– installer (the new and the old one)
– Netsurf web browser
– XChat IRC client
– Ceni network manager
– Midnight Commander
– set of drivers for wireless network cards
Sparky Base Edition is targeted to people who want to build their own desktop on the top of Debian testing base. Comparing to the CLI Edition, Sparky ‘Base’ works in graphical mode so it’ll be much easy to install and configure additional applications then before.
Sparky Base i very light and its size is about 600 MB.
The ‘new’ installer is recommended for a hard drive installation.
If you have an ‘old’ machine, I suggest to use the ‘old’ installer instead of the ‘new’ one.
The ‘old’ installer can be launch by the command:
sudo sparkylinux-installer gui
‘SparkyBackup-System’ – the default Sparky backup tool has been removed from the Live system.
The package has been rebuilt and upgraded up to version 0.1.6 – it’s available in Sparky repository.
In two weeks about, I will start forking the newest LMDE installer with EFI support.
I believe that the Mint team get the job done very well.
But I don’t have an EFI machine to check does my fork work well.
I need your help!
1. If you can, test SparkyLinux with the installer (with EFI support) – send me your e-mail address via our contact form or to our e-mail ‘kontakt(at)linuxiarze(dot)pl’ so I will send you back a direct link to download testing iso image when be ready.
2. If you have spare an EFI machine (desktop/laptop) and you can land me it for testing time – it’ll be helpfull
Informacja o wydaniu w języku polskim -> http://linuxiarze.pl/sparkylinux-3-3-mate-xfce-base/