There are new live/install iso images of SparkyLinux 5.4 “Nibiru” available to download.
Sparky 5 follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.
Sparky 5.4 offers a fully featured operating system with a lightweight LXQt desktop environment; and minimal images of MinimalGUI (Openbox) and MinimalCLI (text mode) which lets you install the base system with a desktop of your choice with a minimal set of applications, via the Sparky Advanced Installer.
All existing other desktops are fully supported, and can be installed via the Minimal iso images or after installing Sparky on a hard drive, via APTus-> Desktop tool.
This is a quarterly update of Sparky of the rolling edition which provides changes such as:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of June 10, 2018
– Linux kernel 4.16.12 (4.17.0-sparky is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo)
– Calamares 3.1.12 (not upgraded to 3.2 yet)
– added packages: xinit (provides “startx” command)
– removed packages: gksu
– Firefox ESR removed and replaced by the latest Firefox 60.0.2 (LXQt edition)
– Java web plugin removed; most modern web browsers don’t support the plugin any more
– Open Java (OpenJDK) removed from the live system too; the package can be installed back via APTus-> Codecs-> OpenJDK
– Clementine music player changed by Yarock; Clementine uses old Qt 4, Yarock uses Qt 5 (LXQt edition)
– slightly refreshed appearance of the Tint2 panel (MinimalGUI edition)
– the Midori web browser is not upgraded for the last 3 years about so has been removed and replaced by an other small and fast Otter Browser (still in RC stage); your favorite web browser can be installed via APTus-> Network
– the default terminal emulator has been changed from XTerm to LXterminal (MinimalGUI edition)
– added a new, small tool to the Tint2 panel: Sparky Dashboard which displays all installed applications inside of Yad based fullscreen window (MinimalGUI edition); and can run them of course.
No system reinstallation is required, simply do full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from download/rolling page.
– possible problem with unmounting the live system squashfs if running inside of a virtual machine – ignore, shot the live system down, remove the live media and run your machine normally.