New live/install iso images of special editions of SparkyLinux 5.4 “Nibiru”: GameOver, Multimedia & Rescue are out. Sparky 5 follows the rolling release model and is based on Debian testing branch “Buster”.
GameOver Edition features a very large number of preinstalled games, useful tools and scripts. It’s targeted to gamers.
Multimedia Edition features a large set of tools for creating and editing graphics, audio, video and HTML pages.
The live system of Rescue Edition contains a large set of tools for scanning and fixing files, partitions and operating systems installed on hard drives.
This is a quarterly update of Sparky of the rolling line which provides changes such as:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of June 17, 2018
– Linux kernel 4.16.12 (4.17.2 & 4.18-rc1 are available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo)
– Calamares 3.1.12
– added packages: xinit (provides “startx” command)
– removed packages: gksu
– Firefox ESR removed and replaced by the latest Firefox 60.0.2
– Java web plugin removed; most modern web browsers don’t support the plugin any more
– slightly refreshed appearance of the Tint2 panel
– the default terminal emulator has been changed from XTerm to LXterminal
– added a new, small tool to the panel: Sparky Dashboard which displays all installed applications inside of Yad based fullscreen window
No system reinstallation is required, simply do full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from download/rolling page.
– possible problem with unmounting the live system squashfs if running inside of a virtual machine – ignore, shot the live system down, remove the live media and run your machine normally.