Last Updated on: 10th February 2020, 06:24 pm
There are new live/install iso images of SparkyLinux 5.2 “Nibiru” available to download.
Sparky 5 follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.
Sparky 5.2 provides fully featured operating system with lightweight desktops: Xfce, MATE and LXQt.
Sparky 5.2 MinimalGUI (Openbox) and MinimalCLI (text mode) lets you install the base system with a desktop of your choice and a minimal set of applications, via the Sparky Advanced Installer.
Sparky based on Debian testing is not a stable edition; can make problems sometimes and can need individual fixing. If you prefer much stable operating system – Sparky 4.x of the stable line will be better choice.
Changes of all editions:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of December 17, 2017
– Linux kernel 4.14.2 from Debian Sid repos (4.14.8-sparky is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo)
– Calamares 3.1.10 as the default system installer
– the full disk encryption option has been activated in the Calamares, so Sparky can be installed on an encrypted disk now
– added 8 new wallpapers of Polish nature to ‘sparky-artwork-nature’ package
– added symlink of ‘sparkylinux-installer’ to ‘sparky-installer’ (Advanced Installer), and ‘spb’ shortcut to ‘sparkybackup’ command (backup tool)
Changes in Xfce edition:
– due to abnormal CPU usage of the ‘xfce4-pulseaudo-plugin’ (with Sparky 5 icon set), the plugin has been replaced by ‘pasystray’
Changes in MinimalGUI edition:
– PCManFM file manager replaced by Thunar
– external USB disks are mounted automatically now
No system reinstallation is required, simply make full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from the download/rolling page.
– possible problem with unmounting the live system’s squashfs if running inside of a virtual machine (tested in VirtualBox only) – ignore it, shot the live system down, remove the live media and run your machine normally.
Merry Christmas to all Sparkers
from Aneta i Paweł