New live/install iso images of special editions of SparkyLinux 5.1 “Nibiru”: GameOver, Multimedia & Rescue are out.
Sparky 5 follows the rolling release model and is based on Debian testing branch “Buster”.
All special editions use Openbox window manager as default.
GameOver Edition features a very large number of preinstalled games, useful tools and scripts. It’s targeted to gamers.
Multimedia Edition features a large set of tools for creating and editing graphics, audio, video and HTML pages.
The live system of Rescue Edition contains a large set of tools for scanning and fixing files, partitions and operating systems installed on hard drives.
Changes between version 5.0 and 5.1:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of October 2, 2017
– Linux kernel 4.12.13 as default (4.13.4-sparky is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo; and Liquorix kernel can be installed via APTus-> Install)
– Calamares 3.1.5 as the default system installer
– a live system’s memtest86+ issue has been fixed
– gcc 6 removed from the live media; the default compiler is gcc 7
– obmenu-generator updated up to version 0.80, what speeded up launching the menu with svg icons
– added new tool for installing a web browser: Sparky Web Browser Installer
No system reinstallation is required. If you have Sparky up to 4.5 or 5.0 installed on your hard drive, simply make full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from the download/rolling page.