New live/install iso images of special editions of SparkyLinux 5.0 “Nibiru” are out.
Sparky 5 follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing branch “Buster”.
GameOver Edition features a very large number of preinstalled games, useful tools and scripts. It’s targeted to gamers.
Multimedia Edition features a large set of tools for creating and editing graphics, audio, video and HTML pages.
The live system of Rescue Edition contains a large set of tools for scanning and fixing files, partitions and operating systems installed on hard drives.
All special editions use Openbox window manager as default.
1. I received a few emails from ours community members; they suggest changing the present LXDE desktop to other. As many users, as many options – I can not make everyone happy.
2. Openbox is an ultra lightweight and highly customized window manager what is the sparky priority.
3. APTus provides an option to install any desktop you like, so do it if you are not happy with Openbox.
Changes between version 4.5 and 5.0:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of July 29, 2017
– Linux kernel 4.11.6 as default (4.12.x is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo; Liquorix kernel can be installed via APTus-> Install)
– GameOver: added new packages: teamspeak-installer and lutris
– Rescue: added: sparkylinux-installer and grub-efi debs, which lets you install (if required) the live system on a hard drive of machines with BIOS or UEFI
– new theme “Sparky5”
– new default wallpaper
– Calamares 3.1.1 as the default system installer
– new tool for checking and displaying notification on your desktop about available updates
– added new repos (not active): wine-staging.com
– added two new live system boot options:
1. toram – lets you load the whole live system into ram memory (if you have enough);
2 – text mode – if any problem with normal or failsafe boot, this option runs sparky in text mode and lets you install it using the advanced installer
All 3 special editions of Sparky with Openbox window manager have gotten 3 key shortcuts:
– Super+t -> terminal emulator
– Super+r -> gexec
– Super+q -> logout window
No system reinstallation is required. If you have Sparky up to 4.5 installed on your hard drive, simply make full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from download/rolling page.