New live/install iso images of special editions of SparkyLinux 5.1 “Nibiru”: GameOver, Multimedia & Rescue are out.
Sparky 5 follows the rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.
All special editions use Openbox window manager as default.
GameOver Edition features a very large number of preinstalled games, useful tools and scripts. It’s targeted to gamers.
Multimedia Edition features a large set of tools for creating and editing graphics, audio, video and HTML pages.
The live system of Rescue Edition contains a large set of tools for scanning and fixing files, partitions and operating systems installed on hard drives.
Changes of all editions:
– full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of January 3, 2018
– Linux kernel 4.14.7 (4.14.12-sparky is available in Sparky ‘unstable’ repo)
– Calamares 3.1.12
– the full disk encryption option has been activated in Calamares, so Sparky can be installed now on an encrypted disk
– PCManFM file manager replaced by Thunar
– USB disks are mounted automatically now
Changes in Multimedia edition:
– mypaint has been removed – makes conflict with libmypaint, which is a dependency to opentoonz
Changes in Rescue edition:
– zypper has been removed – old librpm makes conflict with newer one
No system reinstallation is required, simply do full system upgrade:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If any problem, run:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
New iso images of the rolling edition can be downloaded from download/rolling page.
– possible problem with unmounting the live system’s squashfs if running inside a virtual machine – ignore, shot the live system down, remove the live media and run your machine normally.