Advertising

Author Topic: Smoothly transiting from testing to stable  (Read 143 times)

Offline kendew

Smoothly transiting from testing to stable
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:25:42 am »
Hi

Not sure where this question fits so I'll try here.  I'm thinking of Sparky as a viable OS to offer to people who, at least at the beginning, will not be Linux savvy.  I have a few Lenovo X120e laptops to use for this.  The main focus will be "just works".  I've installed various Linux distros on these laptops to see how they work.  For this purpose, I'm interested in stability.  But there is a problem.
The rolling releases like Arch and openSUSE work well with the radeon hardware the X120e uses, whereas the video tears badly on Debian Stretch and other distros I've tried based on Stretch.  This is unfortunate, as I don't really want to offer a rolling release to Linux beginners.  For some reason, Sparky is different, perhaps because Sparky pulls in newer mesa software from debmultimedia repositories (but I really don't know why for sure.  If you do, please enlighten me!), but the video on Sparky doesn't tear that much, even without fiddling with compositors like compton. 

So to the question....I'm interested in a stable version, but Stretch is getting old and Buster is moving in to replace it as Debian's stable version.  So I'm thinking of starting with Sparky's testing version, but changing references to "testing" in the repositories to "buster."  Hopefully, in the weeks ahead, this would make for a smooth transition to Debian's new stable version, as Buster moves in to replace Stretch.  Would this work?  Is anyone seeing problems here?

Thanks,
kendew

Offline pavroo

• Global Moderator
    • SparkyLinux
Re: Smoothly transiting from testing to stable
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 01:23:45 pm »
Hi
Of cource, you can change Debian 'testing' to 'buster' repos now, it is not a problem.
But do not change Sparky repo from 'testing' to 'stable' yet.
When Buster will be released as stable, an update will change Sparky repos automatically.

Anyway, staying with the rolling/testing line will be possible too.
Nothing is easy as it looks. Danielle Steel
Join #sparkylinux at irc.freenode.net

Offline paxmark1

Re: Smoothly transiting from testing to stable
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:22:19 pm »
Now is a great time to install Buster, change "testing" to "buster" and watch the release critical bugs that are fixed arrive.

Stability is good, and older computers do not need the newest drivers.   I am doing some tire kicking on Debian live rc's But my sparky 64 bits in vm and sparky 32' bits on atoms are quiet and dull mostly. 

Radeon.  My Asus EEEbox (loved but dead now for several years) with the AMD bobcat cpu and seperate Radeon gpu needed propriertary for a bit, but then the debian packages did work out.
    Presently
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary    ancient and basically worthless
https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo            fairly new
The Archlinux wikis often have some good stuff, but you have to be careful what you use.

changelog from sid
https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/x/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu/xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu_18.1.99+git20190207-1_changelog

Hopefull xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu (18.1.99+git20190207-1) in sid makes it to Buster. 

peace out  mark r.
Don't make a FrankenDebian