Advertising

Author Topic: [Solved] [XFCE4] Desktop is displayed +5 min after login  (Read 2046 times)

Offline hedon

Re: [Solved] [XFCE4] Desktop is displayed +5 min after login
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 05:51:27 pm »
Paxmark...good advice, but I have already done all that.  Thanks to the good advice in other threads on this forum, I got
Code: [Select]
systemd-analyze time and
systemd-analyze blame to indicate a 6 second boot to desktop (inclusive of kernel AND userspace).  However, despite the systemd-analyze results, only the wallpaper shows for approximately 1-3 minutes after lightdm login.  It seems to vary in time, but even the fastest desktop appearance is excruciatingly SLOW...

However, pavroos suggestion to install the Sparky kernel and boot with that has resolved the issue!  Good call pavroo!

While I consider this resolved (at least for me), I'm wondering why Sparky doesn't install with it's own Sparky kernel?  Before I followed pavroos advice, I verified with
uname -a that Sparky was indeed booting with a Debian 4.18.0 kernel.  I was just surprised that the default install kernel is Debians, rather than Sparky.  I'm an Lubuntu refugee, looking for a new distro with rolling capability, so optional kernel choices are kind of a new thing for me, other than low-latency or liquorix choices.  Educate me please!

With all that said, I'd like to take a moment and say THANKS to pavroo and other Sparky devs for a FANTASTIC offering of LXQt, which I'm REALLY liking...A LOT!  Although my daily driver is Lubuntu, I provide tech support and administer NUMEROUS machines for friends & family.  They use whatever I use, but I'm truly tired of re-installing approximately 20+ fixed release distros every 3+ years; so I'm looking to go rolling release, but stay in the familiar Debian family, if at all possible.  And while I absolutely LOVE the LXDE environment, I see the handwriting on the wall and recognize that LXQt is the future; the faster the uptake of LXQt, the faster the demise (or gtk3 fork) of LXDE.  And with Lubuntu making the switch to LXQt in the soon-to-be-release 18.10 offering, I think there will be a huge influx of LXQt users in the next 2-20 months. 

So I'm shopping for a new LXQt-based rolling-release distro that I can port my heavily customized LXDE-OpenBox-FluxBox-PekWM desktop to.  And the fact that Sparky is Debian-based is a bonus, and the polish of the LXQt desktop is a bonus, but the apparent responsiveness and troubleshooting ability of an active and thriving community with devs in the forum amongst us is a HUGE consideration!  I can't seem to say enough good things about what I see here in the Sparky community.  KUDOS on a job well-done!  I've been looking and experimenting with numerous distros for almost 2 years.  But now I'm thinking that perhaps I might have found MY perfect choice of distro?  I'll certainly be sticking around for awhile!   8)

Offline paxmark1

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 06:33:29 pm »
So - pavroo brewed a better 4.18 than Debian for some purposes. That is a great job.   4.18 has been biting a few people in the butt for various issues from what I have seen in Siduction, a good place to lurk for those of us in testing- Sparky 5. 

https://github.com/orgs/lxqt/people     are always interested in help. 
#lxqt on OFTC for user support     for quick fixes. 

Fluxbox additions nice.   You do know that you are much more accomplished than I in Linux.  I just keep plugging systemd and command line fixes I know by heart and remember old mistakes I made (running out of space on root, etc.) 

Don't make a FrankenDebian

Offline hedon

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 08:36:04 pm »
So - pavroo brewed a better 4.18 than Debian for some purposes. That is a great job.   4.18 has been biting a few people in the butt for various issues from what I have seen in Siduction, a good place to lurk for those of us in testing- Sparky 5. 

https://github.com/orgs/lxqt/people     are always interested in help. 
#lxqt on OFTC for user support     for quick fixes. 

Fluxbox additions nice.   You do know that you are much more accomplished than I in Linux.  I just keep plugging systemd and command line fixes I know by heart and remember old mistakes I made (running out of space on root, etc.)

Haha...you would be quite mistaken.  I usually don't have a clue what I'm doing, but I'm fairly good at the logical isolation of troubleshooting components, and I can google pretty well, and I have a knack for finding people like pavroo who really DO know what they're doing!  As for me, I'm just a persistently stubborn hacker-type who keeps plugging away until I get the desired result, or until I find a workaround while someone else figures it out.  LOL!

I'm quite enamored with LXQt and see the long-term implications, but the lack of documentation and a knowledge base is quite frustrating.  I'm hoping that an influx of LXQt users will spurn more LXQt development, which will in turn improve the documentation.  I'll contribute what I can, where I can, but right now my head is swimming with LXQt issues.  I can hack an LXDE desktop like nobody's business, then try to apply that to LXQt only to find that feature "hasn't been implemented yet."  Grrrr....  I keep telling myself to be patient and it will mature, much like LXDE did.

In the meantime, good advice regarding the Siduction forums.  I really like Siduction LXQT, but even Sid devs recommend against using Siduction for production machines.  But that's what lead me to Sparky, and it's looking more and more like Sparky is a better long-term fit for me!  But I'll continue to watch SID (Still In Development!), as whatever is in Sid today will likely filter to Sparky tomorrow.

I see your and pavroos posts all over this forum, helping others with issue.  I hope to contribute what I can, when I can, according to my ability; at least as much if not more than I require.  I hope...