Advertising

Author Topic: Cinnamon respin  (Read 736 times)

Offline armakolas

Cinnamon respin
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:01 pm »
I am trying to create a fast Cinnamon respin, based on Sparkylinux-5.3-x86_64-minimalcli.iso but some things don't work as I expected.
One thing is that the iso file does not seem to keep all my settings as it is supposed to. I installed the cinnamenu applet and placed it in Cinnamon's default menu applet's place, and although it works perfectly in my development installation, it is replaced by Cinnamon's default menu applet when booting from the usb that i create from the iso. Does anyone have an idea to try? Here is a screenshot of my development installation.https://eydaimon.wordpress.com/linux/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:00:05 pm by armakolas »

Offline pavroo

• Global Moderator
    • SparkyLinux
Re: Cinnamon respin
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:04:28 pm »
How did you make your respin? via command line or backup gui?
Nothing is easy as it looks.
Danielle Steel

Offline armakolas

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:11:58 pm »
The respin works perfectly! Congratulations to Pavroo for the great work that has been done in Sparky and Sasdthoh for the remaster guide.
Here is a screenshot: https://eydaimon.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/tv_2018-05-20_1920x1080resized1024.png
The iso size is 1.5gb up to now (libreoffice is included) and it will not grow a lot bigger. It is early for releasing it to the public demand, so please wait.

The problem that prevented Cinnamenu from being added to the iso file and, therefore, from working, was my fault, not Sparky's. My fault was that I added my home folder's files to /etc/skel before i pressed the clear option at Sparky Backup System, which removes all copied files from the working directory (and, as you can guess, from /etc/skel/ too).
The answer to Pavroo's question is that I did it via command line. The problem, as i have just explained, was in the order of my procedure's list.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:20:47 pm by armakolas »

Offline armakolas

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:09:22 pm »
The other problem that I have not solved yet has to do with the usb booting. I can not make the computer, that I use to create the Sparky Cinnamon Respin iso, which, of course, uses Sparky Cinnamon, create a bootable usb disk that will enable me to test the iso from this same computer. I have tried Unetbootin, dd command, cp command, gparted (with and without the boot flag, and with fat32, ext4, ntfs filesystems), sparky live usb creator and sparky usb disk formatter.
When I copy the iso to my tv computer (which uses an other debian derivative) and create the bootable usb there, by using Unetbootin, it works correctly. Though, creating the bootable usb in an other computer is embarassing for the Sparky Cinnamon remix that I am trying to create. How can i check whether the fault is in the computer, that I use to create the Sparky Cinnamon Respin iso?

Offline pavroo

• Global Moderator
    • SparkyLinux
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:56 am »
If the iso can be copied onto an usb using other machine, means the iso and usb disk is fine.
A problem can be with usb port, I guess...
Nothing is easy as it looks.
Danielle Steel

Offline armakolas

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:21 am »
The usb booting problem with unetbootin is solved. It had to do with the ancient version of the deb file that the official unetbootin page was providing for debian based desktops. I used the ubuntu version instead, which is several versions newer. It also had to do with a very old usb cable I was using.  Usb creation speed got improved too. Now the horizon is open again for testing. Here is a screenshot of the system with the file manager slightly differently themed:
https://eydaimon.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/screenshot_2018-05-27.jpg
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:27:31 pm by armakolas »

Offline armakolas

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 06:51:45 am »
SparkyLinux 5.4 Cinnamon respin is out had to be delayed!
Estimated release date: End of July or early August.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:58:22 pm by armakolas »

Offline armakolas

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:42:15 pm »
Please stay tuned. SparkyLinux 5.4 Cinnamon Remix is worthy of your patience.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:06:55 pm by armakolas »

Offline armakolas

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »
SparkyLinux 5.4 Cinnamon respin is out!

SparkyLinux Cinnamon remix is a Linux distribution created on top of SparkyLinux operating system. It is built around Cinnamon desktop environment and it is fast, easy and beautiful.

SparkyLinux Cinnamon remix is both beginner-friendly, due to Cinnamon's maturity, and powerful, due to Sparky's APTus smart tools.

Highlights:
-Debian based for its speed, lightness, widespread use, big package-base and stability.
-Testing repository based, for always up to date applications and system.
-Rolling release, so that it will never need reinstallation.
-Cinnamon desktop based, as it is mature, smart and productivity boosting.
-Preinstalled programs that are among the best of their kind.
-SparkyLinux repository with a large set of additional applications

Features:
Cinnamon desktop environment with the perfect Cinnamenu applet as default menu
Firefox with Ublock Origin and Text Contrast for Dark Themes, LibreOffice, VLC, Nemo file manager, Transmission torrent downloader, Brasero dvd writer, Qmmp music player, Nomacs image editor, Evince pdf viewer, Gparted partition manager. Applications are chosen for their effectiveness, instead of their specific toolkit or design.
Sparky APTus provides lots of major apps for easy, one-click installation and the outstanding Sparky's advanced tools.
Carefully selected application settings for being ready to use and theme settings (dark theme, bigger fonts), so as to be the easiest on the eyes.
Anydesk deb file ready to be installed, for easy and fast remote desktop.
Easy hard drive / USB installation with Calamares installer and Sparky Advanced Installer.
ISO only 1,5GB! Not heavily customized, not bloated, just kept simple.
Fast. Responsiveness and speed comparable to light desktops.
For 64bit machines with more than 1GB of memory.
UEFI and BIOS motherboards supported.
Continuously updated due to Rolling release scheme.
Latest versions of all programs, with no compromises in stability, due to Testing repository.
"Unofficial" spin, not made by SparkyLinux "dev" team members.
Username and password for the live session: live, live
Full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of 25th of August 2018

Additional preinstalled packages:
mint-x-icons for extra variety
DEBiTool for easy deb file installation (GDebi alternative)
grubc for color checking. Small, simple and effective command line color checker. No need for gui equivalents.

Get it now and spread the news!
Download from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sparky-linux-cinnamon-remix/files/latest/download
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 08:19:43 pm by armakolas »

Offline armakolas

SparkyLinux 5.5 Cinnamon remix is available
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 03:23:43 pm »
The new live/install iso image of SparkyLinux 5.5 Cinnamon remix “Nibiru” is available for download.
Sparky 5 follows rolling release model and is based on Debian testing “Buster”.

SparkyLinux Cinnamon remix is a Linux distribution created on top of SparkyLinux operating system. It is built around Cinnamon desktop environment and it is fast, easy and beautiful.

SparkyLinux Cinnamon remix is both beginner-friendly, due to Cinnamon's maturity, and powerful, due to Sparky's APTus smart tools.

Changes:
-Full system upgrade from Debian testing repos as of September 20, 2018

Highlights:
-Debian based for its speed, lightness, widespread use, big package-base and stability.
-Testing repository based, for always up to date applications and system.
-Rolling release, so that it will never need reinstallation.
-Cinnamon desktop based, as it is mature, smart and productivity boosting.
-Preinstalled programs that are among the best of their kind.
-SparkyLinux repository with a large set of additional applications

Features:
-Cinnamon desktop environment with the perfect Cinnamenu applet as default menu
-Firefox with Ublock Origin and Text Contrast for Dark Themes, LibreOffice, VLC, Nemo file manager, Transmission torrent downloader, Brasero dvd writer, Qmmp music player, Nomacs image editor, Evince pdf viewer, Gparted partition manager. Applications are chosen for their effectiveness, instead of their specific toolkit or design.
-Sparky APTus provides lots of major apps for easy, one-click installation and the outstanding Sparky's advanced tools.
-Carefully selected application settings for being ready to use and theme settings (dark theme, bigger fonts), so as to be the easiest on the eyes.
-Anydesk deb file ready to be installed, for easy and fast remote desktop.
-Easy hard drive / USB installation with Calamares installer and Sparky Advanced Installer.
-ISO less than 1,5GB! Not heavily customized, not bloated, just kept simple.
-Fast. Responsiveness and speed comparable to light desktops.
-For 64bit machines with more than 1GB of memory.
-UEFI and BIOS motherboards supported.
-Continuously updated due to Rolling release scheme.
-Latest versions of all programs, with no compromises in stability, due to Testing repository.
-"Unofficial" spin, not made by SparkyLinux "dev" team members.
-Username and password for the live session: live, live

Additional preinstalled packages:
mint-x-icons for extra variety
DEBiTool for easy deb file installation (GDebi alternative)
grubc for color checking. Small, simple and effective command line color checker. No need for gui equivalents.

Get it now and spread the news!
Download from https://sourceforge.net/projects/sparky-linux-cinnamon-remix/files/latest/download