Author Topic: lxqt transition  (Read 165 times)

Offline paxmark1

lxqt transition
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:47 pm »
Not now, but in the near future 4-5 days there will be an transition in LXQT, it is occurring in unstable - Sid at this time. 
Short hint, If a full- or dist- upgrade mentions getting rid of a large number of qt and lxqt programs, wait, and research. 

LXQt Transition started
That means - do yourself a favour and don't do dist-upgrades for the next two days.
Füsse stillhalten, das ist in 2 Tagen durch.
  posted by melmarker

This happens less frequently in testing than in unstable.  To track the process of this elsewhere

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6953.msg56295;topicseen#new

Nothing noted on
https://release.debian.org/transitions/
at this time 
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Offline nedhedrick

Re: lxqt transition
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:08:11 pm »
After yesterdays upgrade, my wallpaper and all my desktop icons disappeared.  Some applications won't work at all.  PCMANFM-qt does not work (probably related to desktop issue).  I can browse internet but downloads don't work.  Happened on two notebooks before I decided to stop doing upgrades until it's fixed.

Also, if I right click on the blank desktop, I get a Debian menu.

Will probably re-install and restore home directory from backup to get things back to normal until I can see if it's fixed.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Ned

Offline nedhedrick

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 05:28:49 pm »
I forgot to mention above, this is rolling release 5.1.  The system works fine UNTIL a restart.

Ned

Offline paxmark1

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:38:55 pm »
I am experiencing problems presently.  The need to go to command line for poweroff was minor.  However I now have a blue window with just the menu strip with menu button, sparku apt-us and 7 applets.  Unless you want to help debug, hold off on upgrading.

About doing a complete reinstall.  Normally I would say that is not the way to learn or to utiilize debian-testing and it's derivatives.  However in this case, well maybe. 
But a less drastic option is to        ### maybe try first with apt -s blah
apt remove  libqt5xdg libqt5xdgiconloader*      ### which will remove a whole lot of things     and then   EDIT:  did not work - wait or do at your own risk.
apt install task-lxqt-desktop         ## which will bump items compiled with previous versions of qtxdg and liblxqt

I HAVE NOT DONE THAT YET.  It does seem rational removing those initial items with the * glob. 

EDIT: I HAVE DONE, did not work at this point. 

From siduction forum.   Poster is melmarker - agaida the debian dev for lxqt.     

@titan: it seems you lack the basic understanding what LXQt is and how it works - no problem, the informations are well hidden :) So i will try to bring a little bit more light into: the very basic lib is libqtxdg - currently in version libqt5xdg3 3.1.0, built on that is libfm-qt3 (0.12.0) and liblxqt0 (0.12.0) - all other compontents are more or less based on these three libs. Next very important parts of LXQt are the lxqt-session and lxqt-qtplugin. First is the integrational part that deliver the session, set the used platform and start basic services. Second is a kind of glue that provide the session settings to the applications if a lxqt session is running.

And exactly there seems to be a problem, all of these components need to build against the same qtxdg and liblxqt. One can check that - if no session is present one can set the pcmanfm-qt icon theme directly in pcmanfm-qt - with a valid session running these settings are hidden.

Best bet to solve your issues is just to remove libqt5xdg* and libqt5xdgiconloader* - that will take all other LXQt components with it. After that an simple "apt install task-lxqt-desktop" will install a full LXQt with all bells and whistles - if not done yet i would suggest to remove /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/80siduction or change it to install recommends. One can purge not needed packages afterwards.

Edit: forget to mention that LXQt is strictly indipendent from any Window Manager - so on can chose every WM one like. That will work fine in theory, there might be some issues with keybindings and the way different WMs handle background applications - keybindings are handled for LXQt in lxqt-globalkeysd, so if the WM take some bindings that globalkeysd want, one should solve that in one of the settings. Second: i3 seems to mess up the classic desktop layer - so it migth be better that there is no pcmanfm-qt --desktop process running.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:15:54 pm by paxmark1 »

Offline paxmark1

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:40:26 am »
NOTE: Things looking better, things appear to have returned to normal.

The transition from 0.11 to 0.12 appears complete.   (note - there are other numbering sequences - 20 vs 21 - I do not understand).   "apt update" and "apt full-upgrade"  tonight gave me several more lxqt components with 0.12   

I had been back to the empty blue screen, prior to a blue screen with the lxqt panel and the first problem I had was the inability to utilze the lxqt menu shutdown option -  a dbus conflict. 

I do not have any problems with pcmanfm-qt either as others have posted/

All of these are gone now. for me. 

If it does not work for you, I have done the

Code: [Select]
apt remove  libqt5xdg libqt5xdgiconloader*
apt install task-lxqt-desktop 
apt full-upgrade --install-recommends

after the second round of lxqt programs came through. Hopefully none of you have to do those things.   

I will wait to see if others have problems before marking solved and kick the tires around a little more myself.