Author Topic: GParted Help  (Read 139 times)

Offline merlin1012

GParted Help
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:12:54 am »
Hello & sorry if this was covered, I did try searching but too many responses.
Sparky will be the second OS on a laptop with another distro but I'm not sure how to repartition the disk. In the past other installations only asked how much of the drive to give the second OS and the installation did the rest.
Please let me know if I should go to GParted to ask for this help but I still wouldn't know the specs for Sparky (yes, it is detailed in the help installation wiki)

Thanks for the help
Merl

Offline penguin

Re: GParted Help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:08:23 am »
I have 2 Linux and Windows OS on my 256 GB SSD.

35 GB - Windows  NTFS
25 GB - Arch        EXT4
25 GB - Sparky    EXT4
4 GB   - Swap

Difference is a storage partition NTFS

First three Primary Partition
Storage    Logical partition

For both Linux  home is installed under / (root)

See some videos on youtube

Hope it helps.

Offline Wombat

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »
I usually allow 40gb for /root, 4gb for swap and half the remainder for /home and what is left I call /store, all EXT4 format other than the swap.

Your problem is you will need to repartition one allready being used by the current distro to include room for sparky/root and sparky/home but still keeping whatever the previous distro has included without introducing any odd properties that will cause errors with your current distro. You could try saving the contents of your /home, shrink with gparted, re-install the contents to the now reduced /home and then install sparky in the newly reclaimed unused space by selecting to manually partition when asked that option during the live install...... maybe better to start with a clean disk partitioned from scratch for extra distros?

Offline bardo

• PM by PGP encryption preferred
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:08:05 am »
Sparky will be the second OS on a laptop with another distro but I'm not sure how to repartition the disk.
Hi merl,

i am not certain, if i understand your problem properly (lack of information). Would you be more clear about 4 things:
  • The current state of the disk (partition table, and is there crucial data in the partitions to be taken care of)
  • The intended outcome (what you would like to achieve)
  • Your experience level (would you be able to properly execute admin tasks, or do you need someone to "babysit" with you while doing it)
  • Could you boot from a custom CD to perform some tasks
?