SparkyLinux – full USB stick installation
Font Size » +AAA | -aaa
SparkyLinux has gotten a new functionality – full installation on USB stick.
It means that you can do “normal” system installation, similar to the hard drive installation.
– don’t need to cut your hard drive any more
– it’s possible to save your personal files, perform system upgrades, install new apps – everything on USB stick
– the USB system (for me) is still fast and light
The feature is available at cominig SparkyLinux 2.1 rc “Eris” LXDE/e17 and any next one.
How to install SparkyLinux on Pen/Flash Drive?
1. You need 8GB USB stick (minimum) for “Eris” edition.
2. Read SparkyLinux 2.x hard drive installation guide.
The USB installation is in 90 % exactly the same as hard drive installation.
3. Put your attention on a few points of installation proces:
§ 10. Choose USB disk (for examle: /dev/sdb) instead of hard drive disk (/dev/sda).
§ 11. Preper minimum two partitions on USB drive for:
– / – root dir
– swap partiton
You can make one more partition for”/home” folder.
§ 12. Choose partition for SWAP on USB drive (sdb2).
§ 13. Choose root partition on USB drive too (sdb1).
§ 18. The most important – GRUB bootloader destination – “rootmbr”.
§ 20. Check all settings for new installation:
– partition “sdb1″ (!) will be formatted for root file system
– GRUB will be installed to the mbr of root partition of “sdb1″ (!)
After installation finished reboot your machine and start it from USB drive.
Back to -> FAQ main page