Author Topic: New distro hopper  (Read 2040 times)

Offline RacerBG

New distro hopper
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:28:11 pm »
Well, after looking at Sparky for quite a while finally I decided that I must: try it, enjoy it, install once and forget. For me this is the strongest part of Sparky (and of course the Debian roots). But still I wonder for one thing: What desktop to use? XFCE or the future LXQT edition? Maybe I should wait a little more while I'm writing here on the forums. :) For me the only weak part of Sparky is the small community but you know sometimes smaller is better. 8)

About the distro hopping - if you look at other distro forums (like Linux Mint one) you will be surprised that I'm already there! ;D

And by the way, my name is George and I'm from Bulgaria.

Offline pavroo

• Global Moderator
    • SparkyLinux
Re: New distro hopper
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »
I think the LXDE is the best choice.
I know that it will be dropped, but LXQt is not stable and for testers only.
When Sparky LXQt spin will be ready, it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade existing sparky lxde (if you go for it) installation into lxqt.
Anyway Xfce is very stable and fast too so I think you should try both as Live, look around and make your mind yourself :)
Nothing is easy as it looks.
Danielle Steel

Offline way12go

• Life is unlimited stories.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:37 pm »
Hi Friend, I'm a distro hopper too. Believe me sparkylinux is the best linux distro. I'm a newbie and this a newbie opinion. I think I've seen you on Bodhilinux... or did I? May be on linuxmint or some other distro. Let me Google it... Nope I didn't find you and me on any forum posting together on the same topic. Any way this is the best linuxdistro in a newbie opinion like myself.
Life is unlimited stories and every story has its place. Story script is written and is to be written.

Offline RacerBG

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:04:35 pm »
Hi Friend, I'm a distro hopper too. Believe me sparkylinux is the best linux distro. I'm a newbie and this a newbie opinion. I think I've seen you on Bodhilinux... or did I? May be on linuxmint or some other distro. Let me Google it... Nope I didn't find you and me on any forum posting together on the same topic. Any way this is the best linuxdistro in a newbie opinion like myself.

I'm on Linux Mint, Manjaro, Crunch Bang, here. Also I'm translating XFCE and other projects in Transifex, I'm also responsible for a few games in Wine app db, etc... At all except Manjaro, I'm Debian boy. My only try with RPM distro was with Mageia 3. I installed it once and after a few hours I forget about this idea. ;D

Offline way12go

• Life is unlimited stories.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »
OpenSUSE is best, if not the best then very good RPM distro.
Life is unlimited stories and every story has its place. Story script is written and is to be written.

Offline RacerBG

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »
OpenSUSE is best, if not the best then very good RPM distro.

Its KDE version was very heavy on my VBox and I abandoned this idea also. But I agree - OpenSUSE is the best RPM distro. :) I tried a lot of distros, even pure Debian. It was so awesome to build it from the ground up! :'( My only problem with pure Debian however were the bad ftp/http servers which the installer provides (at least for me they were not working right). My biggest achievement was bare bones Arch install but I do not want to remember this day...3 days reading, 1 day installing... :-X

Offline vrkalak

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:15:49 pm »
Welcome to Sparky   ;D

One of the best OS-distro for Debian-Testing

I have been using Linux (exclusively) for about 10 years.
I started my Linux Journey with Fedora > Sabayon > Mint > Crunchbang > and finally Debian.
Been using Xfce DE, since my 1st day with Linux.

I am a Admin/Moderator for a couple of Forums - LinuxMint Forum and Ask.Debian.net
Also, I am a Debian-Maintainer (DM) 
And, one of the Dev/Testers for Xfce-4.12 DE